Skip to main content

Castle Gardens

The green mounds in the castle gardens were once the site of the one of the strongest and most important castles in England. The building of the castle began in 1067 on the direct instructions of William the Conqueror who had crossed the River Thames at Wallingford on his way to London to take the throne.

The castle was expanded in the 13th Century after which it became a royal castle, closely associated with many medieval kings.

In 1502 the castle was inherited by the future Henry VIII, but he preferred his manor house at nearby Ewelme. The castle fell into disrepair and was robbed of stone and lead which was shipped down-river to help with the building work at Windsor Castle.

In the 17th century Wallingford Castle enjoyed a renewed and final glory. During the Civil War it was refortified as a Royalist stronghold but, realising its potential danger to the cause, Cromwell’s Council of State ordered its demolition on 17 November 1652.

The site is now a garden offering visitors a peaceful stroll and a place for rest and contemplation. A wildlife area has been carefully developed over the past few years and includes wild flowers that are (or were) indigenous to the area of the Thames Valley.

Please note that the Castle Gardens is a dog free zone and balls, bikes, music and scooters are not permitted. As a general rule, opening times are from 8.30am until dusk in the winter, 6pm in the Spring and 7pm in Summer.